This is a five year project which has been running since December 2010 mainly across the three cities of Yorkshire namely Bradford, Leeds and Sheffield. It is AFRUCA’s own innovative community intervention aimed at addressing one of the lingering child abuse issues prevalent with the African communities in the UK.
This project aims at the following areas:
- Educating African faith based communities including faith leaders and workers to increase their awareness of how to protect African children from child abuse mainly from that linked to faith or belief.
- Educating African faith based communities including faith leaders and workers to increase to increase their understanding and awareness of relevant UK laws protecting the rights of children.
- Supporting African faith based organisations to equip themselves with relevant child protection and safeguarding policies and procedures so that they become safer places for children and young people attending them.
- Supporting African parents and carers who have some sort of parenting issues or concerns through the provision of advice, signposting, referrals and training.
What has it achieved so far?
So far, the project has given child protection training to over 1102 African parents/carers as well as faith leaders and workers composed of various African communities residing in Bradford, Leeds, Sheffield, Halifax and Rotherham. These communities include Angolans, Congolese, Eritreans, Ethiopians, Nigerians, Zimbabwean, Zambians, Somalis, Ugandans, Sudanese, Malawians, Rwandans, etc.
The project has also supported over 20 African faith organisations to have policies and procedures in place to protect children and young people and has also equipped their faith leaders and worker with relevant knowledge and increased understanding of how to protect and safeguard African children and young people.
The project has also prepared and disseminated the following unique safeguarding publications:
- Manual on Child Protection for African Faith Organisations in three languages – English, French and Arabic
- ‘What is Child Sexual Abuse?’ booklet
- ‘What is Private Fostering?’ booklet
- ‘What is Physical Abuse?’ booklet
The drafting of two other publication i.e. ‘what is emotional abuse? and ‘what is child neglect?’ has been completed and are awaiting publication and dissemination.
This project is running smoothly and is making a positive impact as evidenced by the evaluation made by external independent evaluators. The following are briefly areas that the project made real impact:
- It has significantly increased parents’/carers’ undertaking, knowledge and awareness of child abuse and how to protect and safeguard children
- It has significantly increased faith leaders’/workers’ undertaking, knowledge and awareness of child abuse and how to protect and safeguard children
- It has significantly increased communities’, parents and faith leaders/workers alike, legal undertaking, knowledge and awareness of child abuse and the law that protects them in the UK.
- Several faith groups have adopted relevant child protection policies and procedures which they did not have before their engagement with the project.
Last Updated March 2015